Monday, August 9, 2010

Rhubarbaria and Prospect Books.

What with holiday reading, holiday book hunting, some very exciting book donations, and a sneaky amazon purchase, a lot of very good bookish things have come my way recently, with the end result that everything is piling up and I’m feeling a touch guilty about it. However I’ve dug out a notebook and made some lists which is giving an illusion of orgonisation, so now all I need to do is stop procrastinating and start writing this stuff up.

Second on my list, but bumped up to first place because of pure enthusiasm is ‘Rhubarbaria’ by Mary Prior published by the really wonderful Prospect Books. Mary Prior has a Shetland connection (including a daughter who’s a very talented cook, which all adds to the pedigree of this book) and I’d heard that this collection was in the pipeline a couple of years ago but nothing more since, and then on this last trip back I actually saw (and bought) a copy. Seeing it was published by Prospect books I looked them up and have been wondering how on earth I could have been basically unaware of such a treasure trove for so long.

As a cook book enthusiast I do own a copy of Alan Davidson’s ‘North Atlantic Seafood’ which I think is probably Prospects best known title, and I distinctly remember reading an article about them some years ago in The Guardian which made me think I should look out for their titles. Sadly I don’t see them very often in the markedly average bookshops which are within my reach, a fact which I’m increasingly inclined to think of as a breach of my human book buying rights. I got in touch with Tom Jaine who now runs Prospect and he very kindly sent me a handful of titles from the English Kitchen series of which ‘Rhubarbaria’ is part, he also sent me a catalogue...

Prospect publish cookery, food history and ethnology of food titles (my mouth is actually watering as I type this) and here are just a few: ‘Dinner for Dickens The Culinary History of Mrs Charles Dickens’s Menu Books’, ‘The Elder In History, Myth and Cookery’, ‘Outlaw Cook’ – no idea, but it sounds exciting – ‘Sugar Plums and Sherbet The Prehistory of Sweets’, ‘Rhubarbaria’ of course, and who couldn’t want ‘The Closet of the Eminently Learned Sir Kenelm Digby, KT., Opened (1669)’ on their shelf? This is a very small cross section of what’s on offer, please, please go and have a look for yourself.

'Rhubarbaria' is a slim and very reasonably priced volume (to my delight all the headings inside are in a bright rhubarb pink). I have actually read it cover to cover, and caught the Scottish one doing the same thing. He was intrigued – and slightly repulsed - by recipes for Puffin and rhubarb, included for the sake of completism rather than for trying I think.

I learnt that rhubarb was first known for its medicinal qualities, only becoming a recognised food stuff in the last few hundred years. The leaves (poisonous) used to be eaten like spinach, which is perhaps why it took a while for rhubarb to become popular. I read about the heyday of the Yorkshire rhubarb triangle, complete with the rhubarb express which transported the sticks to London. The last express left in 1966 but it’s an image which has really fixed itself in my imagination. The promise of the introductory essay is more than fulfilled in the recipes which are presented with learning, humour, and anecdote – this is a book with a winning personality. Incidentally the recipes I can’t wait to try are for rhubarb jelly; I’ve never eaten it, but have an enticing image in my mind’s eye of something with a jewel like colour and a seductive wobble.

It’s fair to say I have my own cultural reasons for an interest in rhubarb – it’s one of a few things which grow well in Shetland, is indeed almost ubiquitous. Judging by the provenance of the recipes I’m not alone in associating the rhubarb patch with a well ordered home. I can’t say it’s the taste of childhood (though we certainly ate plenty of it) it’s more that I feel slightly adrift when I realise I can’t put my hand on a stick or two of it, and resent the high price I have to pay in supermarkets for it. I collect any recipe that comes my way as if it’s still a staple of existence, and see a romance in the fact of an ingredient shared across the world and including the Falkland Islands, Faroe, Shetland, New Zealand, America, Canada, Yorkshire, and the Persian court.

Finally, if anyone shares my enthusiasm for Rhubarb, thanks to the generosity of Prospect I have a spare copy which is up for grabs. I’m happy to send it anywhere and really can’t recommend this book highly enough. A comment or an email will get you entered in the draw.

13 comments:

  1. Yes, please do enter me in for it -- I do like rhubarb quite a bit, but don't often have a lot of really good recipes for it. My grandmother used to make Rhubarb Pie for my Dad -- I tried to make it for him one time based off of a recipe I Googled once, but sadly, I didn't quite have the knack for it that my grandmother did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do enter me! I have a rhubarb patch that I started two years ago so I should be able to get a good amount next spring. I grew up on rhubarb too--rhubarb sauce for ice cream, rhubarb bread, and of course rhubarb pies!
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'd be interested in that - I love anything pink, although rhubarb is an interesting pink as it's so sour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh coming from the magic triangle up north i love a good recipe for rhubarb, love it with gamey meats especially duck, yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. fantastic, It would be great to be able to cook more than a crumble! please enter me into the draw.Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love quirky receipes almost as much as i love books. It would be a win win to have both so please enter me.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to post a proper comment in a minute, but having just lost a great lone piece of text I'm going to test that it works first, so bear with me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Verity, pink with a bite is the best kind of pink!

    Grannie, thank you again for today, and I know being a yorkshire girl that your a rhubarb fan:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, that seemed to work so I'll try again! Can you enter me please? I think I've nurtured the clump of rubarb that I brought from our old house 2 years ago into something that will produce a good crop next year. Said clump originally came from the cottage that Todd was a baby/toddler in, the garden was basically the corner of a field that was completly wild with nettles when we moved in, except for a rubarb patch right in the middle. A conversation with an old lady at the village pub one night revealed that her husband had planted it when they moved in upon getting married in 1947. Making Todd laugh whilst pulling it up and letting him run around using the giant stems & leaves as an umbrella, gave me a huge feeling of homelyness. Recipes where (and are)always a bit scarce though (crumble and fool aside) I do remember trying to make ice cream with it, but not with much success. The best thing about living in a rural community though was that a glut of something could be traded and so rubarb turned into all sorts of homegrown produce. Suburbia isn't quite the same but hopefully some homegrown rubarb and some more imagitive things to do with will bring back fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. More conformation that rhubarb is romantic! I hope it grows as well in it's new home as it did in the last and you have it for the next 50 years +

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please enter me, my Dad's got a huge patch of the stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete